- MBBS - Andhra University, Visakhapatnam (1972)
- MD - Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh (1976)
- DM - Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh (1979)
- MNAMS - National Medical Science Academy, New Delhi (1981)
- Asst. Professor, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad (Jul 1979 – Sep 1980)
- Asst. Professor, Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam (Sep 1980 – Apr 1982)
- Asst. Professor, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad (Apr 1982 – Nov 1984)
- Professor, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad (Nov 1984 – Sep 1986)
- Asst. Professor, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad (Sep 1986 – Jun 1989)
- Professor and HOD, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad (Jun 1989 – Oct 2000)
- Rich experience in the management all types of neurological disease, special experience in the management of critical neurological diseases, stroke, and epilepsy
- The team chaired by Dr J M K Murthy was the first to start surgery for patients with drug resistant epilepsy in the Andhra Pradesh state.
- The same team did vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) in children with drug in the country
- CARE Hospitals at Banjara Hills is equipped with state-of-art Neurological Intensive Care Unit to care acute severe neurological disease
- He published 180 scientific articles in the national and international journals. His scientific work is highly cited and has high H index.
- He contributed chapters to several textbooks and monograms in neurology including Handbook of Clinical Neurology (new series).
- Edited four books: (1) Epilepsy Indian Perspective; (2) Epilepsy in Tropics; (3) Clinical Epileptiology; and (4) EEG in Clinical Practice
- He is the former editor of Neurology India and is and was on the editorial board of several national journals including Neurocritical Care, journal of the Neurocritical Care Society (USA)
- Research projects: Comprehensive Rural Epilepsy Study South India (CRESSI). Several research papers based on this research got awards including Takadora Award of the Asian and Oceanian Commission of International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE)
- Principle Investigator (local site) of several important drug trials in neurology
- Stroke registry-CARE Hospitals
- Presentations: He presented several papers in national and international conferences. Several of the presentations from his department got Best Paper/Poster awards
- He was an invited speaker in several national and international conferences and was guest speaker in several workshops, updates, and CMEs.
- He has given several prestigious orations including Dr Achanta Laxmipathi oration of National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS); Sarabai Oration of Association of Physicians of India; and Ms Sobha Arjundas Oration of Indian Epilepsy Society
- Fellow, American Academy of Neurology (2002)
- Fellow, International Medical Science Academy (1982)
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Neurology (1996)
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Clinical Medicine (1996)
- Fellow, Indian College of Physicians (1998)
- Fellow, National Academy of Medical Science (2001)